Friday stumper: Find all of Apple’s 23 acquisitions from the past 16 months
At Apple’s annual meeting in Cupertino, Calif., today, chief executive Tim Cook dropped a curious factoid: In the past 16 months, Apple has bought 23 companies.
Like Cisco, IBM, Salesforce.com, Oracle, Yahoo, and other aging tech giants seeking to stay relevant, Apple has been on an acquisition binge. The mobile device, PC, and software maker keeps lots of cash on hand. Enough cash to round up a whole flock of acqui-hires, technology buys, and other M&A deals.
We couldn’t help ourselves. We poked around and came up with documentation for at least 16 of the said 23 purchases.
Here are the ones we’re sure about:
1. SnappyLabs, maker of a mobile camera app.
2. Note-taking app company Catch.
3. Mapping company BroadMap.
4. Social media analytics company Topsy.
5. PrimeSense, the company that devised the technology underlying Microsoft’s Xbox 360 Kinect.
6. Productivity app maker Cue.
7. AlgoTrim, a mobile data compression company.
8. Public transportation app maker Embark.
9. Matcha, the company behind an app showing stuff you can watch.
10. Passif Semiconductor, a company that made low-power chips for mobile devices.
11. Public-transportation app maker HopStop.
12. Map data company Locationary.
13. WiFiSlam, a company that figured out a way to pinpoint people’s locations inside buildings using a Wi-Fi signal.
14. Web development company Particle.
15. The engineering team behind photo-sharing app maker Color Labs.
16. TestFlight maker Burstly.
Beyond these 16, we’ve come across a few other companies Apple might have acquired in the 16-month range, but we don’t have official confirmation for them:
17? Grokr, a company that came up with, a predictive search app.
18? Basis Science, a company that makes health-tracking watches. It could be of use to Apple as it reportedly works on an “iWatch.”
We know we’re missing companies here. So help us, please, and tell us what we left out. Send us mail at email@example.com. Oh, and if you know someone who knows someone whose company just got bought by Apple, tell us that, too.