View Count: 274 |  Publish Date: April 06, 2014
Union, leading late, scramble to preserve tie vs. Fire
Daniel I. Dorfman, For The Inquirer Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014, 3:01 AM
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - It was a roller coaster game for the Union Saturday. Appearing on the verge of victory late in the match, they needed a heroic save by goalie Zac MacMath on a penalty kick on the last play just to preserve a 2-2 tie against the Chicago Fire.
Defender Aaron Wheeler was whistled for a foul on 2013 MLS MVP Mike Magee in the waning seconds of stoppage time, leading to the penalty kick. But MacMath dove to his right to stop Magees shot, and the subsequent rebound, denying Chicago a win.
Victory was tantalizingly close for the Union (1-1-3), but for the third time, a set play came back to haunt them.
The Union, scoring twice for the first time in a 14-match stretch dating back to last season, allowed a goal by Chicagos Juan Luis Anangiono off a free kick over the head of MacMath in the 86th minute.
More coverage2014 Union season statistics 2014 Philadelphia Union schedule Major League Soccer national television schedule Fox Sports UEFA and CONCACAF Champions League TV schedule More soccer coverage from The Goalkeeper Buy Philadelphia Union gear Buy Philadelphia Union tickets The Union took a 2-1 lead in the 39th minute, when a free kick from midfielder from Leo Fernandes from about 25 yards out went untouched over the heads of both teams and bounced directly into the net, past stunned Chicago (0-1-4) goalie Sean Johnson.
Magee scored in the 16th minute for the first goal of the match, but the Union righted themselves and evened the score in the 33d minute, when midfielder Vincent Nogueira took a shot from deep outside the box that deflected off of a Chicago defender. Midfielder Maurice Edu retrieved the loose ball deep in the box and put it by Johnson.
Defender Sheanon Williams saw his first action of the year as he came in at halftime as a substitute. He had missed the first four matches due to a quadriceps injury. Defender Austin Berry, who had been held out of action the last two matches due to a hamstring injury, did not play.
Previous Story:In a surprise move, Union deals longtime player McInerney Daniel I. DorfmanFor The Inquirer #post2 .pw-icon.ra1-pw-icon-reddit {background: url() 0px 0px no-repeat !important;width: 60px !important;height: 20px !important;margin-right:8px;}#post2 .pw-icon.ra1-pw-icon-email {background: url() 0px 0px no-repeat !important;width: 71px !important;height: 28px !important;}0 commentsReprints & Permissions »

Time: 0:51  |  News Code: 395620  |  Site:
Collecting News by Parset Crawler
Know more about Parset crawler